Valente SmellyBottom

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, January 6, 2006

kangkung in drains

UNDP supports US$ 80.000 for public cleaning in Dili
TV Monitoring, January 3, 2006
Public workers-vice Minister, Raul Mausaco said the problem of flooding
because drainages because of clogged up because of the population threw
rubbish and plan some water-vegetables (kankung) into drainages. "One team from public workers that does not have department to deal directly with drainages and streets," said Mausaco. We need big budget to clean the drainages in Dili, added Mausaco. UNDP has supported US$ 80.000 for the public cleaning in Dili, said Mausaco.

One of the earliest advice I got from a colleague was to avoid KangKung like the plague. Still that piece of wisdom was unvalidated until I began taking walks and saw Kangkung indeed being planted everywhere - especially in drains - or any decently-sized puddles of water. And now with the Vice-Minister openly talking about kangkung in drains, i think I will definitely STOP eating kangkung now --- except that the KangKung creeps insidiously onto every table by virtue that it is the most available green in this country. My mom says the straw-like feature of KangKung makes them great homes for parasites. Eww. Mommy, I think I'll need a de-worming pill when I come home.

2 comments:

  1. We love sambal kangkong.
    We hope s'pore's kangkong isn't cultured like that too.


    Anyway, will you be back for CNY? We'll see ya then if you are :)

    Take care :)



    ruxin and ruyi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. brigida!

    are you really really not going to eat any more kangkung?? really? i dunno if i believe you..

    miss you! and dili!

    hugs,
    ii

    ReplyDelete