Valente SmellyBottom

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, March 1, 2006

all natural

See the hand in the picture? It belongs to a special person I am seeing right now. Yeah, now you know why I have been absent from my blog for so long... But no, seriously, i have been all over the place -- from a short unplanned trip to Singapore, to visits to the field, to a recent bout of cold, and of course, lots of cooking in the kitchen with this crazy cook.

The mush you see is humus painstakingly made from unprocessed chickpeas.We spent an afternoon soaking, boiling and shelling chickpeas, crushing them with pestle & mortar, before adding in crushed garlic, and then finally grinding the mix into a paste with my cup-juicer.
Cost --
Chick peas : USD0.95
Garlic : USD0.45
Water : Free
Effort : Priceless

It tasted super yummy with spaghetti and with cream cheese on toasted bread. But i think we added a tad too much garlic. The funniest thing was that after proudly completing the paste, we are asked by friends,"You mean, you didn't use processed chickpeas in a can?" So what takes others 15minutes to make, took us close to 4 hours. Haha. Oh well, time on a Sunday well spent.

The next trip to the supermarket, i went in search for the processed chickpeas.
Chickpeas in a can : USD1.25 ONLY!!! But hey, at least ours was all natural - without the sodium whatchamacallit, and colour retention chemicals.

TRY this only when you have time to kill.

7 comments:

  1. Ahem! Mystery Man & mysterious hummus?? Time for a timor update...I have started uni & its going great. How do the shipping containers feel? Are you floating yet?

    :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was me, anonymous..

    ReplyDelete
  3. can see the face also and not just the hands of this special person??
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello cousin!

    our family hasn't had a wedding for quite some time! I think you are next! Jia you... I think your kids will be super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I'm really happy for you for achieving your goal of finding that "Special Someone" there! :O)
    Whatever happens, I'll be praying for ya! Take Care and oh yeah, stay in touch...

    Pam W

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey... pls show his face next ler.. I'm not interested in other parts of his body ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darling you not keeping all your friends in the dark about me are you?????Hay floks the mystery hand is me, well in her own time Bri will post the rest of my body and may be my face on to her blog, but since meeting her she has very much changed my life and brought more joy and love into it,dear dont get a big head now. The truth be told she was in love with me about 8 months ago.Love you.AL

    ReplyDelete