Valente SmellyBottom

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

There she blows!

I finally spotted a WHALE after so many afternoons spent squinting out at sea. We went up for a quick walk up to Jesus yesterday evening, and as we were stretching at the edge of the viewing point, a jogger said she had heard there was a whale in the vicinity. Despite the setting sun, A. and I decided to just hang on for a bit in case we did see one. We were staring out in the horizon, expecting to see a dramatic spurt of water to give the whale's position away. Instead, as we were chatting we suddenly heard a loud "psshhhh" sound really near to us! The whale was only right below us! You know, that rock where you can walk down to pose for pictures? Well, the whale was just right below! And he/she kept circling the area for a while, making that "pssshhh" sound a few times before finally disappearing. We only saw the dark strip of its back, and it never did the dramatic water fountain trick or breached out of water unlike the humpbacks i saw in Hawaii 5 years ago when i volunteered for a whale count. I kept shouting, "Hey whale, do your stuff. don't be lazy." A. thought I was mad. So there. I have seen a whale in Timor. 6 days before i go home. Now, i just need to see those blistering dolphins! Arggh.....

1 comment:

  1. Hey I saw a whale around there right around that time too! We were playing on the beach behind the Cristo Rei and we were hoping to see whales and so were staring at the horizon. And then suddenly a black strip on the surface... for a split second. No blowing though... I hope I wasn't "seeing things"...

    ReplyDelete