Valente SmellyBottom

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Kite flying and the state of Zen







*correction: all photos thanks to auntie May's hubba Ian!!

Was a strange outing cos the kite flying took all of 5 minutes, before the strings got majorly tangled up, no thanks to Mr Valente SmellyBottom Lay! He had joy, oh boy, getting me in a tizzy, as i struggled to stop the mess from worsening. But the boy was like in the cartoons, running circles round my ankles, creating a kite chaos out there. very malu i tell you. While YM sat down on the grass with vera laughing at the escapade, Ian was kindly helping me to sort out the mess. In the end, we had to resort to distracting val - getting him to run far away - in order for one adult to have the time to disentangle the kites! Thanks to Ian, we ended up with three clumps of kites with a bunch horribly still in knots. Last night, i finally had the peace and quiet, after the boy had fallen asleep, to slowly pick through the strings. I had fallen asleep with him and woken up at 12midnight to face this task.

In the still of the night, the knotty problem became a good opportunity to meditate upon my current state of affairs. I got all contemplative - how can you not! All those knots, so complicated, yet they were only created by simple twists - no one actually went to great lengths to mess them up - but yet they just seem so indomitable if you are in a hurry to sort them out.

But when it's quiet, when time kinda stood still, when the mind's at peace, the problem didn't seem so daunting. Complex yet totally can be fixed.

Slowly, by observing the way the strands were twisted, and by quietening my heart, I was able to tease the kites in and out, loop-a-loop, and before long, had restored the entire string of kites to their complete, unentangled state.

I think I had a brief encounter with Zen last night. :-)

**Additional pix - Val caught in the act!


6 comments:

  1. Now that've gotten the kites sorted out, we're good for a real kite flying outing.

    Hey, les images sont surtout prises par moi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops okay i may not know french, but i sure could decipher the word "moi!" hahah okay correction added

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ian, according to Babel Fish, what you wrote is "The pictures were specially taken by me." is that accurate? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's "The pictures are taken by me". :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. remember the song we used to sing in Choir?

    "Sometimes my life is like a ball
    Of mixed up coloured strings
    So full of knots and tangles
    I just can't do a thing
    But when I go and sort it out
    I realise that I'm
    Gonna have to take it
    One string at a time."

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey Yum, no i can't remember that song! but wow, so profound huh! maybe it got stuck subconsciously in my tiny brain :-)

    ReplyDelete