Valente SmellyBottom

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

no regrets please

Second Uncle passed away this morning. When I heard the news, I was seized by an immense sense of regret and the tears began to flow. Yesterday, my folks had told me that my uncle (who suffered from throat cancer) had slipped into a coma after his condition worsened. When I was about to visit him, I was told his condition had stabilised and that I could visit this evening instead. So I never got to say goodbye.

I was never close to him but I cried more than when my Grandmother died. Why? I think it’s the sense of regret – I could have said goodbye but never. I last saw this bachelor uncle when he was first diagnosed with throat cancer a year ago. Since then, I never visited him in the nursing home even as my elderly dad toiled every week to visit him. Guilty? Yes definitely.

Lesson learnt? Don’t leave what you can do today for tomorrow. If you need to tell someone you love him or her – do it today because you never know when it’s too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment