Valente SmellyBottom

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

tech dino recommends: edu apps for your kid

So today, we had a photo shoot with babes and mobile devices like the iPad, iPhone, PSP, etc. I wasn't there, cos I was swotting from home, cleaning up stories as a responsible editor should be doing. I called to check on the shoot and was told that there was a 4-year-old who wouldn't tear his eyes away from his iPod Touch the entire time. Scarrieeee....

But to set things in perspective. This tech dino truly believes that it's all in OUR hands - parents I mean. How addicted they get, is really how much we allow them to be. For now, Val's relationship with the iPhone is casual - he sometimes requests for it, and I sometimes allows him to use, at my discretion. It is never a given that he asks and will be given.

To be fair, the device has come in very handy at many occasions - at a fine dining restaurant, it helped to keep the boy seated for 1.5 hours (!!!).

And so, for every naysayer of mobile devices, I think there will always be a supporter.

Here's tech dino's recommendation today: a very simple app that teaches children very quickly shapes.

Toddler Teasers: SHAPES app (Free)

Val learnt what is a hexagon from this app that rewards the children with a virtual sticker for every 3-4 correct answers they get. I like it cos it doesn't say "WRONG!" but it says "try again" and then claps to reaffirm a correct answer. :-) NICE and simple, plus, it's FREE!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, i just downloaded it.

    More recommendations are very much welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-)
    hey Daphne, i'm building some edu apps myself. Are you keen to get involved in story developments etc? lemme know....

    ReplyDelete