Valente SmellyBottom

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sunday, December 30, 2007

The best gift for Val

Okay so this sounds soppy but really, when i decided to 'splurge' on a doula and the hypnobirthing class, the only rationale i had was that it would probably be the best gift for my lil un. the amount isn't a trifle so i did give it quite a lot of thought and research. i read up on the Hypnobirthing book on my own to see if i could 'embrace' its philosophy and also emailed several people who took the classes for their opinions. IN the end, i made the decision and boy am i glad. Below is a letter from Auntie Ginny of Four Trimesters (www.fourtrimesters.com) to Baby Val to welcome him into the world. Touching for me to read 2 weeks after his birth.




Dear Val,


Your Mommy first contacted me via email when she was still living in East Timor. She was thinking of having a natural birth to welcome you in the gentlest way possible and found me through the internet. She later found out that some of her friends are also taking HypnoBirthing classes with me.

I first met your parents at the HypnoBirthing group class conducted at my home. Your daddy was sceptical but supportive and it seemed like he enjoyed the first class. Your maternal grandma attended the 2nd group class to learn how to support your mommy should your Daddy miss the birth being based in East Timor. Your Mommy and you are surrounded showered with love by supportive friends and family.

I met your Mommy 2 days before she went into labor for our first prenatal. I was pleasantly surprised that she had beautiful affirmation cards on post it notes stuck all over her poster, clearly, she was determined and motivated to have a short, easy, relaxed and comfortable birth.

13th December 2007

5.17am

Hi ginny my waters just broke.
(Bridge: my first sms to ginny)

Your Mommy called me shortly after and we went through her options. She could choose to stay at home and wait for the surges to pick up on its own or go to the hospital to check that your fetal heartrate is fine and have the option of heading home again if labor has not started. Your Daddy was still in East Timor at this point.

6.34am

Ok we going to hospital. Will update you later. I haven’t printed my birth plan.

6.51am

Ok I’ll see how the fetal monitoring is first. Drats hate the thought of a VE. They have to do it ya?

6.54am

Ok thks. Would u have any way of contacting him?
(Bridge: Trying to contact Doc Paul)

6.57am

Ok they tried to call him but no response. I’ll update you.

8.29am

Will the loss of waters endanger the baby?

8.32am

Ok still at hospital. Eating. I think my ma is worried. I’m sleepy. Just keep waiting for baby movement. So far he is active. My surges are there but not intense.

8.34am

The waters keep flowing. So its quite scary.

8.35am

Ok but very malu.

I found out later that your Mommy and your grandma hung around the hospital to wait and see if the surges will start, so they had breakfast there, before deciding to head home again.

10.06am

Hi I’m home and resting. Lying on side to relax. Surges still irregular but seem more intense yeah! Do you think you can help me print a copy of my birth plan? I dun have a printer here. I’ll update you more.

12.07pm Daddy smses

Hi Ginny how are you this is Armando in timor. Would you be able to keep me updated on Bridgette condition. I am trying to get a flight out.

1.24pm

I feel like something really trying to push through my butt when the surges come. Is that normal?

1.38pm Daddy smses

Thanks heaps I feel so helpless being so far away. Thank you for your kind assistance and please keep me updated.

2.07pm

Surges are getting more challenging. The push down to butt is very strong, din imagine that it would be like that.

2.08pm

Wait let me count
(Bridge: Ginny asked me for duration and intervals of surges)

2.27pm

First two were 4 min apart, about 40 sec next two were 2 min about 30 sec then last one was 4 min apart lasted 50 sec.

2.37pm

Last one just now was very strong. Especially when I breathe out. Ya have bits of blood on pad not a lot.

Your Mommy called me to update me and her surges were clearly picking up. I asked if she would like to monitor for a while more before deciding if we should meet at the hospital and she said ok.


In less than 10 mins, your grandma called to say that they are leaving for the hospital now and I said I will meet them there.

3.50pm Daddy smses

Ok thanks. I spoke to her mom and they are also on their way. Please keep me inform, I am really lost here.

We arrived at the hospital around 4pm and after the initial CTG run, your Mommy consented to an internal examination as it did seem as though she was going to deliver soon. 8cm dilated to our delight.

4.18pm Daddy smses

Hi any development?

During this time, I really wished your Daddy was here together with us. I had to support your mom and settle the logistics as well, which turned out to be somewhat of a comedy. As your grandma was busy settling admissions, your Mommy and I were very much alone in the delivery suite most of the time.

Her favourite position was to sit on the edge of the bed and lean forward during surges. A labouring woman can be very strong and have a lot of weight and as she peed during surges, the floor was all wet, making it more challenging for me to hold her weight up.

At the same time, I needed to go to the store to take the birthing stool, the foam mats etc and prepare the room for the birth. However, because I was alone with your Mommy and your Daddy was not around, I could not and depended on the nurses to do the job. And the nurses pushed it to the housekeeper, so it took us several attempts before we got what we wanted – which was the birthing stool and foam mats instead of an ikea stool!

During this time, your Mommy’s urges to bear down were getting stronger and stronger. At one point I had to ask her to go on all fours on the bed to see if I could see your head emerging. It was very uncomfortable for her and she quickly reverted back to sitting on the edge of the bed.

When we got the birth stool in place, your Mommy moved to the birth stool and tried to find a comfortable position. Another internal examination was done and your Mommy was fully dilated and your head was very low. Yay!

I suggested using squats and sitting positions to help your head descend lower and faster, and your Mommy reported that the surges were more intense when she squatted. We decided to wait for Dr. Paul to come before doing more squats. It wasn’t long before your head was visible when I notified the nurses.

And your Mommy was doing so well that we had to encourage her to blow out to stretch the perineum whilst waiting for Dr. Paul to arrive, and he did very shortly after. Within moments, you were born at 5.18pm!

Your grandma stepped in at that moment and all our eyes welled up in tears of joy. After we moved your Mommy and you to the bed, I excitedly called your Daddy.

5.31pm

Thank you and god bless, I am in tears aof joy and sadness. Can I trouble you to take a pix and email to me? Thank you.
(Bridge: Armando's sms to Ginny)

5.45pm Daddy smsed

Sorry we do not have the facilities here, email is best, thank you. Can you tell me weight and size and mom and baby is ok?

5.51pm Daddy smsed

We thank you so much.


What a beautiful moment, and I am honoured and grateful to have been invited to be part of this gentle welcoming.

Val, you are truly blessed!

With love, light & joy, and hugs and kisses of course,

Aunty Ginny xox

No comments:

Post a Comment