The headline really sums it all up. I have an itchy backside and it gets me into a lot of trouble, especially when I "think" I am on my summer break from graduate school (yah, I forget I work and study, plus I have a kid). It makes me think i have a lot of time (when i don't) before my next semester starts (March is after all so many gazillion days away, no?) and I start to conjure up visions of what I could do with all that (unavailable) time, and I start to do silly things like promise to give a speech, or volunteer to write for a non-profit's website, or *gasp* consider taking on freelance work on top of my already packed-to-the-brim schedule.
An email pops in from a museum - Would you like to consider writing a children book? YES YES YES YES YES YES YES! Do I even stop to consider for one second if I have the time? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! Cos these things, you don't stop to think right? You just grab and go, and then whimper a lot and suck it all up.
Then, another email follows *ding*, er, we just won another contract with another ministry, which means, all your end-of-the-year holiday plans are out of the window. And no, you don't have so much free time anymore cos it's going to be another hellish November-December scramble again, like in March when we scrambled to put Challenge together in about 6-8 weeks.
I suspect if I didn't live my life at such a hectic pace, I might feel out of place. It's the city slicker's sickness is it? Or it is it just me? Secretly inside, I must have a death wish; I must really enjoy the busyness, the extreme time management and juggling act, and the impossibility of all the tasks lined up. And when I manage to do them all, the sense of satisfaction is so overwhelming, it short-circuits the brain, and brings on selective amnesia - the type where I remember all the happiness and buzz of doing these crazy stuff, but forget the clenched hair in fists moments when I am all alone in the still of the night huffing away, telling myself never to be so dumb-assed itchybackside anymore.
Good night and good luck indeed, woman.

No comments:
Post a Comment