Valente SmellyBottom

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

peace march on international children's day

My aunt once said the world would never find peace until men fell at their women's feet and asked for forgiveness.
Jack Kerouac

I posted the famous Beat poet's quote in my blog last October and have now found occasion to repost it again after hearing that there are plans to have a PEACE MARCH in Dili led by a women's network TOMORROW. I learnt this just today from a colleague who is planning to join in to show support. That is the best piece of news yet coming out of Dili which has been subject to gun battles and marauding rival gangs. I really hope that this peace march gets news coverage and that it is successfully and peacefully carried out. Apparently the organisers are motivating women from camps to join in the march - but some are fearful because of their children and also due to the trauma.

I've read before reports that say if women were rulers of nation, there would be less war and less corruption. What those reports were based upon, I'm not sure but I sure know that the Timorese who were wielding guns and machetes were mostly men. Ok, to be fair, I do have a friend who was a former guerilla fighter and she's a woman, and yes, we have heard alot about the female guerilla/ resistance fighters in the Vietnam War, the Khmer Rouge and of course the Timorese resistance. But most times, you have to admit this, it is the MEN who form the majority of the fighting. As for corruption, I can't say but some detractors say it's only because women have not been in positions of authority where they milk bribes. Anyways, what i have seen is that even when families can't afford to send children to school, husbands still clutch handfuls of dollar notes to gamble in the local markets in Timor. Hey, i'm not a man hater but it really just makes me wonder what IF the government had 90% women and 10% men - would it make a big difference? Which country is ready for this experiment?

So what do you think? If all the men in Timor now fell at the feet of their wives, and ask for forgiveness, would peace finally reign in Timor?

Significantly but very sadly JUNE 1 (which is tomorrow) is the International Children's Day - a day that we had been planning in earnest with the Government's Human Right Office and various other partners. My colleagues had begun meeting sometime in March to discuss plans for a national celebration, a poetry contest etc etc etc. A day that was supposed to be filled with happy faces, rousing music, beautiful sweet voices and HOPE. That all just evaporated with the first gun shot.

I'm really glad that some energetic women have still got the courage to put together the peace march, and perhaps that might remind these warring factions to put down their weapons and to consider their children and their future.


VIVA TIMOR LORO'SAE!

2 comments:

  1. Ma just told me about the Peace March, I think its BRILLIANT! Like you said the best news which has come out of Timor for the past two months plus she read out the translations to the message (which is fantastic!!!)

    Anyway hope your doing well and thanks for the updates even thought your not in Timor :) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I hope you are doing well. I understand how hard it can be to leave a place under such circumstance.
    I came across your blog when I was applying for a job in Dili. I didn't get the job and it seems that now it will be even harder for me to move to Timor. Anyway, I love your blog and I am hoping you can get back soon!
    Lilian

    ReplyDelete