Valente SmellyBottom

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Get in touch the real way

"The Face" by Valente Joseph Lay

These two pieces are probably Val's most "coherent" swirls and scribblings so far. Usually he would make a whole lot of scribbles everywhere but tonight he suddenly seemed to have some "idea" of going in concentric circles, and making all kinds of shapes here and there. The art direction from me was minimal - i suggested that he could change colour, or suggested an empty spot that he might want to add something but this is 99% his. I love that an accidental face emerged from an accidental stroke.

"Swirls" by Valente Joseph Lay

I had actually intended to make postcards with the yellow card - you see, i had recently contacted some of my overseas friends via FB and asked if they would like to be penpals with Val. I thought that since Val would probably grow up surrounded by all things virtual - SMS, Social media networks, emails, skype, video talks, etc - it might be nice to allow something REAL like stamps, letters and postcards to shape his impressionable mind at this age. Most of them responded positively (I presume the rest have not read their FB messages or are hardly ever on it), so we have friends in Seattle, Scotland, Shanghai, Oahu, Jakarta and Bangkok participating in this. Last Saturday, I brought Val to the Tanglin Post office after our music class to grab some stamps. Yesterday I tried to hunt for postcards but could not find any! So i grabbed some remaining art card from the office and decided to make our own. I was planning to get him to scribble, scrawl, do anything he wanted, and then cut them down to size and send them out. But after seeing his stuff, I feel it'd be a shame to cut it down. I think I'll send it out to one of the penpals instead. Hope to get more art card next week and let the lil guy and his markers loose on them!

No comments:

Post a Comment