Used the miniature mode by mistake. But i kinda like the blurry effect. This one's specially dedicated to J, a dear friend who has proven to be reliable and incredible.
Here's a chap who's completely ready to settle, and can't wait to get married and have kids. So it was perfect that he joined us in HK for some fatherhood training boot camp. His future wife should thank us for this!
He was patient, obliging, and always ready to help me out - carrying my mommy bag and holding umbrellas for us when the heat was really too much. I only wished he had shaved his beard so that Val would allow to be carried by him! Hmmm!
Most times, Val was well behaved and was quite a joy to be with... except on two occasions when he was cranky and cried for apparently no rhyme or reason. That was when I quite literally saw J's jaws drop. His face had a "WTH is happening" look that you see in single people when kids throw tantrums. It was the same priceless expression my sis and bro-in-law had some time ago, before they had their baby, when Val threw a good one at a hot, crowded Joo Chiat eatery.
So even while I was placating Val, I sometimes felt the need to throw a comforting pat on J's shoulders to tell him, "It's okay... Kids are like that. He's tired and this is normal." Dear J, i only hope the experience has not turned you off from having kids! Oops.
Anyways, here're some pics of the two boys who had such great fun together. If there were such a thing as a past life, they might have been a) brothers or b) pet owner and pet (you decide who is which)
The bliss on J's face when he finally got to carry Val, after plenty of rejection from the boy (due to the fuzz). I had handed Val over to J after he fell asleep on the tram up to Victoria's Peak.
Another rare occasion when the boy decided it was okay to get up close and personal with the fuzz. This was at Ocean Park's Giant Panda exhibit.
That's us, the motley crew, on a ting-ting electric tram - definitely Val's and my fave transport in HK. I'm sure Uncle J found the boot camp useful while I am eternally grateful for him taking time out to bring us around despite his busyness.
We are so blessed to know him, and other friends (in Singapore and elsewhere) who have showered Val with much affection. It's not easy being a single parent (this possibly being my first public admission of my status) and so I thank the Lord for bringing these angels into our lives. At the darkest times, they have rallied by me and given me much strength. And so, they can be assured, will I do the same when they need me. This is how the world becomes a better place, no? Gosh, is this turning out to be a sappy post or not!
Anyways, J - we wish you the best and we hope to see you again soon, perhaps with kids in tow next? ;-P If we haven't spooked you out completely about parenthood!
P/s: Now to look for my next willing victim (male or female). If you need a boot camp, feel free to drop me a note. Our next scheduled trip is probably February 2011!

No comments:
Post a Comment