At work, I deal with quite a fair bit of rudeness - being squashed right in the middle of the editorial process. Sometimes the clients are rude, sometimes the writers who are big shots who think they are smart, talented and thus entitled to being rude. It is rather disappointing and depressing because these occasions - much as I tell myself not to be affected by them - do make me ask myself why I am still in this business. I promise myself it won't be long - there's no way I will do this for life - although I do enjoy the act of writing stories, I really don't relish the diplomacy involved in handling clients and rude writers. In any case, I still believe that no matter how amazingly talented you are, it is no excuse to be rude. It's just basic human principles, no?
Are these rude people fully cognisant of the fact that they are rude? Is it worse to be unaware of one's own unruly behaviour or to be fully aware and making full use of it to get one's way? Someone told me before that I should be more assertive - yes I agree, but does it need to include rudeness and arrogance?
Times like these also make me reflect a little more to ask myself: Have I been rude without knowing it myself? Have I been equally arrogant? It is a good chance to take a few steps back and look on.

Very well said. I was just thinking the same thing myself. Merry Christmas.
ReplyDelete